6.11.2010

Accountability

is something that has been heavy on my mind lately. As I grow I realize more and more that more of our problems in life and in our relationships stem from a lack of accountability. Be it stubbornness, or just the never ending cycle of it's always someone else's fault that "my life turned out this way", "so and so did this to me", or "my job this and that". Well I hate to go all Dr. Phil on ya, but you really do teach people how to treat you. Lately I have noticed more and more people who whine all the time, and take no responsibility for their actions and the unwanted reactions that they get, well those people just get on my nerves! I guess I must say my "Give a darn is busted" when it comes to them. I'll be the first to admit I can get in a funk just as quickly as the next person, and the easiest thing to do at that time is blame everyone else for the way my life is not in sync. But lets face it, grow a pair, and own up to what you did or didn't do that got you in that place. Make some changes, stop pointing the fingers and grow up. I also find that the people that lack accountability are also the fastest to lie to defer that accountability from themselves. Is that how you want to be perceived? As a lying cry baby that can't take responsibility? I know I don't! And I know I want to keep reminding myself to admit my failures, my short comings, and my wrong doings to people and most importantly model that for my child and the people around me. I have a feeling that it'll yield a happier lifestyle for me in the long run, and it just might you too. Here is a list of quotes about accountability:
"Some favorite expressions of small children: "It's not my fault... They made me do it... I forgot." Some favorite expressions of adults: "It's not my job... No one told me... It couldn't be helped." True freedom begins and ends with personal accountability."

- Dan Zadra
Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant."

- Robert Louis Stevenson
"Everyone sooner or later sits down to a banquet of consequences."

- Robert Louis Stevenson
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- George Burns
"Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes real happiness. It is not obtained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose."

- Helen Keller
"You don't choose the day you enter the world and you don't chose the day you leave. It's what you do in between that makes all the difference."

- Anita Septimus
"Common sense is the knack of seeing things as they are, and doing things as they ought to be done."

- Stowe
"Teach us to number our days and recognize how few they are; help us to spend them as we should."

- Psalm 990: 12 TLB

No comments:

Post a Comment